Thursday 5 December 2013

The Advent Wreath

Cloë can you tell me what one of the most important symbols of Advent is?

Yes I can, it is the Advent wreath - I can see it through the window of the church.


There are 3 purple candles and 1 pink one. Hey did they run out of purple? Is that why there is a pink candle?

No Tallulah they didn't. Each candle represents 1 Sunday of Advent. In the Church, purple is often associated with preparation, which includes a time of thinking about what we have done wrong and asking for forgiveness.


The pink candle is lit on the 3rd Sunday, which is also called Gaudete Sunday. Pink is a happy colour and it reminds us that Christmas is almost here.

I think everyone should have an Advent wreath!

I agree Tallulah. If they come to the Agora Christmas Market this weekend, they can make one during the What is Advent? workshop.


Hope to see you there!

Woof!

Cloë and Tallulah

No comments:

Post a Comment