Saturday 16 November 2013

The Mass - Part 6 - The Penitential Rite

Gee Cloë it's sure been awhile since we talked about the mass! Maybe we better recap before we move on to Part 6.

I have a better idea Tallulah, we'll list the dates for parts 1 through 5.

We did Parts 1 and 2 in July. We did Parts 3 and 4 in August. We did Part 5 in September.

Today we are going to talk about the Penitential Rite.


After the priest greets everyone, the next thing the humans do as a group is to tell God about their sins and to ask Him to forgive them.

If the people are talking about what they did wrong, why do they use the word right?!

Tallulah, the word is rite - R.I.T.E. A rite is kind of like a ceremony.

Ok, now I understand. Do the humans confess things like eating their master's lipstick and highlighter pens?!

No Tallulah, dogs ask forgiveness for these kinds of things.

So does God always forgive the humans.

He always does if the humans are genuinely sorry for what they have done.

Sometimes the humans use the longer prayer

I confess to almighty God
And to you, my brothers and sisters,
That I have greatly sinned
In my thoughts and in my words,
In what I have done and in what I have Failed to do,
Through my fault, through my fault,
Through my most grievous fault;
Therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
All the Angels and Saints,
And you, my brothers and sisters,
To pray for me to the Lord our God.

and other times the shorter one.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy. Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Here is a short video of Fr. Greg explaining the Penitential Rite.


(The YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fnMNlGH4A)

Cloë, I think Fr. Greg is a Legion priest just like Fr. Timothy!! I miss the Legionaries and going down to what used to be their Noviciate.

I do too Tallulah.

Well that's it for today - Woof!

Cloë and Tallulah

No comments:

Post a Comment